Want to try storytelling with your children? Not quite sure how to start? This list of story ideas comes from Franziska Macur, Simplicity Parenting Coach, author, and advocate for using stories to connect with and guide children.
Franzkisa was asked for tips to help new storytellers as the venture out in their first stories with children. She shares this list:
How to Start a Story (4 Ways)
- Tell a story from your childhood. Your kids will love it, I promise. And, as a plus, you’ll strengthen their sense of family. Try to pick memories that relate to the season and don’t worry about how big the event was – according to you. Simple stories are lovely.
- When I was your age, grandpa took me sledding…
- Every winter, grandma and I would make this special bread. But one year…
- Tell a story about the object physically closest to you. Kids love the idea that common things have a story to tell.
- One sunny day, the guitar decided to go for a walk…
- Once a year, all the kitchen brushes have a party in the sink…
- Expand on their favorite story. If you feel a little uneasy telling stories, you can use a favorite picture book character and send him or her on a new journey. That way, the stage is already set up for you.
- You know that little gnome in your book. Did you know that he not only liked to plant but also to hike?
- What would you think if Fancy Nancy would go on vacation and her suitcase with all her frilly clothes got lost?
- Just ask your children, “What would you like to hear a story about?” That way, they might even help you create the tale.
- A whale? Okay. What do you think the whale should do?
- You want a story about spaghetti? What sauce should we put on them? Maybe they don’t like it and are on a quest to get rid of it?
Franziska Macur is a mom; a wife; a professional gone home; a sewer; a crafter; a cook; a baker; and a life-long-learner. Passionate about simplicity, family rhythm; and a natural and healthy lifestyle. You can read more from Franziska at her blog, http://homenaturally.org/
Subscribe and receive our FREE Simplicity Starter Kit
- Beginning to Simplify (19)
- Ezine (1)
- Filtering Out the Adult World (26)
- Moving Toward the Power of Less (21)
- Nourishing Food (22)
- Our Daily Rhythms (16)
- Our Weekly Rhythms (11)
- Simple Discipline (8)
- Simple Education (16)
- Simple Environment (42)
- Simple Fathering (6)
- Simple Parenting (43)
- Simple Rhythm (18)
- Simple Rituals (15)
- Simple Schedule (24)
- Simple Seasons (21)
- Simplicity Store (1)
- Simplicity Stories (23)
- Small Change Challenge (19)
- Soul Fever (8)
- Teens and Tweens (7)
- Uncategorized (36)
- Whole Child Sports (2)
There are no upcoming events.